Looking back on the goals I had when I first started at Channel 4 in February, I really have exceeded all of them. I started out working closely with the News reporters and producers, going out to help them shoot packages and do interviews and it was truly so eye-opening. I got to be on-site during the McKinley High School shooting back in February and see how reporters work in the field when there is breaking news. While I don’t believe hard news is for me, it was truly so beneficial and amazing to see how dedicated reporters are to their jobs, working crazy hours to get the coverage the public needs.

Back in March, I expressed the desire to branch out and maybe work with the digital sports producer, and my adviser accommodated me the same day! This has been the role I believed I’ve grown the most in since I got to do the most work. I got to go out with her to various high school and college sporting events, learned how to shoot game video, shoot standups, and make cohesive packages. I LOVED getting to do this. By the time my internship is over I will have written 3 articles that got published on the Channel 4 website, produced 4 or 5 finished video packages, and I know have so much more experience than I ever thought possible at an unpaid internship. Getting in front of the camera was never something that I thought I would do, but now I wouldn’t rule it out entirely! This internship has forced me to realize that a job in sports or around sports is the best place for me to be.

I’m so grateful for the experiences I’ve had at Channel 4 and I HIGHLY recommend this internship to future students! It truly is an experience that can be whatever you make it.