Gathered in the Grupp Fireside Lounge at Canisius College, on September 29th, was the Communication Department’s “HomeCOMing” event. The occasion gathered Canisius College staff, students, and alumni for an evening of food and conversation in the hopes of making new connections within the school’s community. Students studying IMC, DMA, JRN, and STC attended the event with alumni who are currently working in those fields.

This event was set up well, organized, and had a very upbeat atmosphere with many conversations going on at job-area labeled tables. At first, I did not think I would find anyone working in the role that I am perusing, but my professor referenced me to Madeline, who works for one of the top agencies in Buffalo. I also talked to one of her colleagues who works in the position I would like to have, an account executive.

This was one of the few networking events that I have attended and definitely beneficial to my future goals. I was nervous about who to speak with, but the labeled tables helped me decide where to go, and my unanswered questions led to conversations which left me with useful connections.

Canisius’s “HomeCOMing” was one of the first of many networking events I will have to attend and gave me great experience so that I am prepared. It taught me to have a plan, but don’t be discouraged if you don’t follow it exactly and speak to as many people as you can. You never know what one connection could lead to or how valuable that person could be to you.