Starting the second internship of my undergraduate degree has been a journey. The pandemic transformed many realities for professionals, students, and people of all walks of life. Getting back into a normal workday schedule has been an adjustment itself, but knowing this is my last semester makes the challenge both easier and harder. My name is Joey Williams, and I am a second semester senior at Canisius College, where I am studying Integrated Marketing Communication.

I am an Account Intern at Quinlan and Company, where I assist with client preparation and behind the scenes workings in an agency setting. My first day at Quinlan was filled with meeting office staff, touring the Larkin Building, and getting to know the company and what it stands for. The agency’s history, story, and the future of where it is going make it an exciting place to be, while furthering my education. 

My responsibility at the agency is to assist the Account Manager with his responsibilities and learn from his expertise as I go. It is interesting to see how another Buffalo agency functions and how their practices differ from my previous agency internship. I love hearing the stories and tangents of everything this industry is from each of the departments within the agencies I have interred for. 

So far at Quinlan, I have helped with some extensive research for one of their clients in preparation for a meeting, to show them what they are missing in their advertising efforts. I have learned of famous advertisement campaigns, industry leaders, female account executives, advertising do’s and don’ts, and so much more. My expectations have been exceeded from what I thought this internship could be and I hope to only learn more. 

I am thankful for the opportunity Canisius College and Quinlan and Company have given me to learn and prepare for my career, before entering it in a real position. I did not know what to expect going into the internship, but I am surprised and excited to see what is to come.