The past two semesters I have had the pleasure of being the Communications/Social Media Intern for Council Member (and Canisius alum) Joel Feroleto. Running social media is harder than it looks but I have been able to grow my skills in order to build the Hertel Walls brand. I have been able to learn about analytics and watch the following grow. I started with a little over 1,000 followers on Instagram and now have close to 1,400! I also have been able to learn what posts work better, as of right now reposting Buffalo-based influencers and Tik Tok style videos work best. This semester I was working remotely which I did find difficult, but I was able to explore North Buffalo more and begin promoting the small businesses in the most recent video I posted. I am thrilled that they asked me to stay on for the summer until the new intern comes on in the fall. Since I will be in Buffalo for the summer, it gives me a chance to explore and post about Hertel Ave. I think nice weather and less COVID restrictions will allow me to post about more restaurants, events, and the murals in hopes that people will visit.

Overall, I have greatly enjoyed working with Joel, Megan, and Logan this past school year. They constantly supported and encouraged me throughout a very difficult year. I am so grateful for everything that I was able to learn not only about social media, but about the city and Delaware District. When we were in the office I often felt like I was in an episode of Parks and Recreation. It was such a fun work environment and I hope once I land a job I will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working at City Hall. The biggest lesson I learned this year is to not let “imposter syndrome” get the best of you. You are capable of more than you think and sometimes we are blind to our success. When I posted my first Tik Tok style video, I almost took it down because I was nervous to see the reaction of followers. However it brought many new followers to the account and several positive comments. I will leave it here for now with one last shameless plug to follow the account. @HertelWalls, logging off…

“Looking Good” Mural Video ~ @HertelWalls

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqhQiihV7D/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link