Hi everyone! My name is Tessa Pszonak. I am continuing my internship at Arts Services Inc. for my last semester of senior year. Arts Services Inc. is a non-profit organization that provides services and support to professionals in the arts and cultural community. They offer workshops, grant funds, and other opportunities to help promote and empower the arts and cultural sector here in Western New York. There is so much to learn at ASI that I decided to continue my internship through the spring semester. I have a passion for the arts and I love to learn and help out in the field in any way. 

Currently, I am helping out with their 2021 monthly spotlights. Each month we will feature different arts organizations and local artists that reflect the specific month’s observance. For example, February is Black History Month. I had the opportunity to interview Terry Alford, Executive Director and Audrey Clark, Project Manager at Michigan Street African American Heritage Corridor Commission. I also interviewed Ally Spongr, Interim Director from Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Center. I had great conversations with each of them and loved learning about their organizations and how they celebrate and acknowledge black history in the month of February as well as all year-round. After the interviews, I wrote the first feature “Black History Month is 365 Days a Year” with the assistance and feedback of my supervisor and another ASI employee. It was a great experience and I am looking forward to interviewing and writing about Women’s History Month in March.