It’s already December? Wow, has the year flown by! 2020 has been a year like no other (and I’m sure people have heard variations of this phrase since March), but we cannot forget about the highlights that have made this year less taxing. I, for one, had a touch of luck when I scored my internship at Girls Education Collaborative this year.

Without a doubt, this internship taught me more than I could have imagined and has instilled in me confidence that I can jump into any task that has been laid out for me.

Blog posts. Outreach. Social media posts. Canva. It sounds like a lot to compact within a three month period, but I can assure you that it went by very quickly.

I think one of the most challenging tasks that I have had to complete was the task that is crucial to just about every nonprofit organization: creating social media posts about Giving Tuesday.

December 1st marks Giving Tuesday (https://hq.givingtuesday.org/), a time when people come together to support nonprofit organizations that are doing good in the world. It’s a day when generosity is most important to highlight the people and organizations that are changing the world. Little did I know, the movement started in 2012 with the mission to devote a day to do good, which has now manifested into a widespread, global movement.

To prepare for this day, I was tasked with making social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram and creating frames for the pictures with the Giving Tuesday emblems. Hours of creating over countless frames and designs for the specific time slots that the post would be published motivated me to explore what Canva had to offer. After this, I can easily say that I am creative.

Looking back at the start of this internship, I’m so grateful for the opportunity to work with an organization that is focused on the power of communication to persuade people why girls’ education is one of the most pressing issues of our time. With COVID-19, this has slowed global progress of girls’ education, but this meant that GEC was willing to work harder than ever to get the message across their platforms.

With only a few short days left, I would be remiss if I didn’t express gratitude for this amazing opportunity. First and foremost, I would like to thank my supervisor, Erin, for always believing in me and for giving me the chance to start my future career in the nonprofit sector. I would also like to thank the Communication Studies Department, specifically Dr. Rosanne Hartman, for instructing this seminar class for professional development skills that I will take with me after graduation and beyond.

If you would like to see some of the posts that I created, go to these social media links.

Instagram: @thewholegirl
Facebook: Girls Education Collaborative
Twitter: Girls Education Collaborative