This would have been the last week in the WBEN office for me. I’ve been lucky that my supervisor let me keep writing from home for the web. I was able to write up a few pieces to keep the experience going. 

I wish I could have done voiceovers for radio; however, I did not have the equipment for that at home and no one was allowed in the office to record. I believe I do have a good grasp on how the radio journalism industry works. I enjoyed the times I was out at town meetings, gathering quotes and editing sound files for broadcast. 

With that said, I am still not sure the radio field is for me. I still prefer print journalism, because writing is a major strength of mine. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed working with the microphone and conducting interviews. However, I don’t think it gives me the opportunity to write as much as I like. 

I was especially thankful to see how a newsroom operates with the struggles that the pandemic brought. It was great to see how resilient my fellow journalists were covering the news as Covid-19 spread. 

While I wish I could have done more, I appreciate WBEN for giving me the opportunity to cover real news out in the community right from the get-go. It allowed me to work on my interview skills and practice ethical journalism, like getting all sides of a story. I wish I could have done voiceovers myself, but I am pleased with what I learned.