If I have counted correctly, my last day working in the Kavinoky Theatre offices was March 17th, and by that Thursday we were forced to work remotely from home. That meant the end of the show that was still playing, Indecent by Paula Vogel, which is darkly ironic when you learn that the production is about a Broadway show that was cancelled on opening night after the crew was arrested for challenging “public decency”. It’s one that I’m sad to say I never got the chance to see.

As much as I saw this coming, it was still upsetting to learn that I would be losing time at my internship, not knowing if or when I would see everyone again or how I would finish out. My worries were quickly set aside once I was informed that I could continue my social media-based duties, so once again I am Off the Grid and on the job! Naturally with the need to reach out to audiences in this time, I tried to brainstorm a few outreach ways to still entertain frequent patrons and boost their online footprint to younger people.

But what can I say about the time that I did have? I took some time trying to settle in, and once that happened I was very happy with all that I got to do. I wanted a challenge and I was assigned social media work, which has pushed me to learn some basics of social media and gain a few insights. I got involved in some aspects of theatre production, like taping down the set blueprints in the rehearsal space with stage manager Norm, or watching the set be built while I was taping the stairs so people don’t trip (or as I humorously called it, “prevented liabilities”). I even have some photos I took that chronicle the progress of the set coming up! In an unexpected and wonderful turn, I was offered the chance to man the soundboard while a graduate student was giving a professional presentation in the theatre. That is surely a moment I will cherish in my time at the KAV, but without a doubt my favorite day was also my last. I was helping with a special project that was part of Indecent (I don’t think I’m allowed to talk about it so I will be vague), but due to COVID upending that production I can’t imagine what will happen with that. But still, the experience of coordinating and working with my coworkers on something artistic that made us all laugh truly made me treasure that day. I even thought to myself, “if this is the last time I’m here, it was worth it!” There was an excitement to get to work on so many things, and I will carry those memories with me for a long time to come.

For my final meeting with Dr. Irwin, she asked if I had any take-away message or theme from this. After a few seconds on the spot I hastily came up with “if you want something then go get it”. Now in the moment that was just blurted out, by as I think of it that is a really important message, especially for me. My supervisor, Geoff, gave me the advice that in this business, then the one person who can sell you and represent you is yourself. You have to have the strength to represent yourself and display your strengths when you can. If there is something you want to achieve, then you need to work for it and earn that opportunity to show that you are fully capable and ready to take the next step up in the field of your choice. But that might be the preface, that if you want something then you have to work for it. Opportunity doesn’t always befall on us like we may wish; instead it is our job to work towards our dreams and prove that what we hope to accomplish can be made reality to others as well as ourselves.

This time working from home is not always the best. There’s no better distraction than comfort, I suppose, but I will myself into continuing to work and finish my year the way I would have if COVID hadn’t upended us. I’m sure for many this time is a dark cloud hanging over us. Some of them are just gray and heavy, while others are raining hail on our heads. But an image from Indecent has given me an idea of hope for the future. The finale of that show is an emotional release where two women are caught in the rain as they dance and embrace each other, and that is a sight that inspires wonder on stage. But for my own purposes, I think it is important that we find the ways that we can play, laugh and dance in the rain as it hits us. I just celebrated my birthday with my immediate family, and the all of us have been brought together through our weekly game nights. I will be graduating soon, and while it may not feel that way because of CV-19 keeping me off campus, I still know that others who love me are very excited to acknowledge that achievement.

The storm will pass, and it may be long and difficult, but there are glimpses of light that shine on us from time to time, so let’s learn to find those and appreciate them as they come. Until that time, I have to give my thanks to Geoff, Dave, Norm and Loraine, who have all made my internship experience the best it could have been. I’m one of the lucky ones who got to continue, so to those who have lost out on their work and have to wait for a safer time I am terribly sorry. I hope you find something that satisfies and excites you very soon.

Thanks for reading this. Until next time.

Sincerely, Andrew Phelan