A photo I took a press conference for WBFO.

This spring I am interning at WBFO, Buffalo’s NPR station. This is a really exciting opportunity for me because I haven’t had much experience with radio – however, I did work as a research assistant on a podcast once. Researching for that podcast made me wish I was the one writing the scripts, and now I get the chance to learn how to do that! Obviously, podcasts and radio are both similar and different, but nonetheless, I’m really enjoying learning about audio journalism.

So far, one of the things I’m really enjoying about WBFO is that every day is a little different. Some days I’m receiving training, some days I’m shadowing reporters, and some days I’m working on my own stories. I really appreciate that from the get-go I’m expected to contribute to staff meetings. It’s giving me a solid challenge to come up with spot news every day that I come in.

So far, as far as content I’ve created, I’ve written script and cuts for a story on a change in hospital policy, as well as the web story:

Severe flu season prompts visitor policy changes at Oishei Children’s Hospital

I worked with audio from an interview to create script and cuts, as well as the web story for this story on a young woman making a difference in Australia, despite being 10,000 miles away: Kenmore high school student sewing gifts of hope for fire-ravaged Australia.

I also took photos for Kyle Mackie’s story: WNY high school football to continue with federation play, for now.

Now, I’m working on some of my own stuff, but that’s all I can say! Don’t wanna get scooped 😉