By: Noah Cliff

My name is Noah Cliff and I study Communication Studies and Journalism at Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. I am currently in my final semester and am preparing myself for life after graduation. My experience as a Media Relations Intern with the Buffalo Bills and a Special Events Intern with Roswell Park’s Alliance Foundation has motivated me to continue to explore multiple communications-related jobs in various industries.

On Monday, January 13, 2020, I started my internship with Uniland Development Company’s Marketing Department. Uniland is one of the largest commercial real estate companies in Western New York. They develop and lease office space, residential properties, mixed-use properties, hotels, etc.

I work at Uniland four days a week from 9am-2pm. On Mondays, I attend the Marketing Department meeting and find out what I will be working on that week. My supervisor, Senior Marketing Manager Jill Pawlik, told me that she wants me to learn as much as I can from this internship and I’m off to a good start.

Uniland is currently developing a co-working space in downtown Buffalo called Hansa. One of the company’s competitors is partnering with a national co-working developer, Serendipity Labs, to create another co-working space. I was responsible for researching how Serendipity Labs approached new markets where they were opening. I really enjoyed learning about marketing strategies and seeing how the media covered new development.

Uniland is also redeveloping the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence into a mixed-used town center. The proposed plan includes hotels, apartments, townhouses, office space and retail. I was responsible for finding similar mixed-development that has happened in the last few years and researching their marketing strategy. I took note of videos made, how they displayed graphics and renditions of their plans, how they interacted with the community and how they were covered by local media.

I am excited to continue to be involved with a company that is doing so much work in Western New York. I am looking forward to making the most of this opportunity.