Hello readers, my name is Andrew Phelan, and this blog will document my journey into what professors of mine have called “the life-blood of higher education”: my internship process. A few facts about me, I am a senior and in my second semester at Canisius college, meaning that I will be graduating this May. I am a Communication Studies major, with minors in Art History and Theatre Arts.

But enough about my background, let’s discuss what the people really want to know. This semester I am interning at the Kavinoky Theatre, which (for those inquiring minds who’ve never been) is located at the D’youville College campus. I have been familiar with this space for some time now, as I’ve attended a few productions for my theatre arts courses in the past. My supervisor is Geoff Tocin, assistant to the company’s Artistic Director, Lorraine O’Donnell. He’s a very easy-to-approach person, which is one of the reasons I chose this location after just a short interview.

I’ll admit, once I signed on to intern at the theater, I had no idea what I would be doing at the company. “What would I work on and for whom” felt a little open ended. But in my first day I was given a small tour of the theater space, which I was very happy to receive, and was brought back into the box office to do research into social media that other theatre companies specialize with. Now, I am not someone who’s in touch with social media, hence the name of this blog, but I figure the world of the internet couldn’t be left undiscovered forever. It was a begrudging inevitability that I would one day have to accept, and it appears that day is coming soon. I can’t be off the grid in a world of connections and mass media.

This duty was further supported by the Artistic Director herself, who I met with for a short time one day. We spoke to each other regarding what my goals for interning at the Kavinoky would be, which I took as a chance to discuss the goals Dr. Irwin charged us to contemplate. I told Ms. O’Donnell that since I would be tasked with social media to benefit the company, then I would want to develop my marketing skills in a real world practice, which I doubt I’d be able to receive in a class. But more importantly I mentioned how I am interested in pulling the curtain back on the professional theatre process, and to perhaps get involved in whatever way I’m able and witness firsthand how professionals bring a production to the stage. Ms. O’Donnell seemed elated to learn I was a theatre-person (based on my minor and interests), and assured me that she and others would love to help further my education into the art and work of a theatre company.

I’ve yet to begin the social media work, likely because the next production has yet to begin. But I’m going to need to enquire about what is expected and what I am able to gain access to in the theatre so that I can market, especially rehearsals or events that I can spin into posts. Until that time I am currently performing office jobs overseen by my supervisor, which I’m using to display professional characteristics: organization, creativity and dedication. I anticipate that more solidified responsibilities will be discussed in my next few days at the job, so then I would be learning to navigate a new profession and assist in an environment I want to explore further.

So far I’d say I’m settling in to my internship slowly. I’m not sure how to really include myself into a work environment. I see my internship as an extension of my education and a “test run” at work, but then how much of myself do I bring to the job? I’m naturally very quiet and keep to myself when working, but then I feel that others are not learning who I am and therefore I’m lacking engagement that could bring me forward in the workplace. This is a question I’ve been asking myself for the past day, and any action I have in response will take time to implement, but as I’m just beginning I will not let worry consume me.

Well reader, I hope you have enjoyed the first of many postings that record my internship experience. Perhaps you will learn from my efforts and improve upon them, and I do hope you understand that these recollections are only one person’s experience. Others’ internships will be unique and individual, but we embark together on the first step to the working world.

Here’s to next time! Sincerely, Andrew Phelan