Hello All!

For my networking event, I participated in a pledge event for WNED. At this event, I ran a camera while we went live on TV in order to raise money for WNED. In between these “Pledge breaks,” which interrupted normal broadcasting in order to let our fundraiser be known, there was a lot of time in between to talk and meet people involved in the event. I had a chance to meet a lot of talent and people who are in the production industry. For example, one man I met talked to me about his long list of broadcasting history he had. He now works at WNED but has jumped from station to station throughout the course of his career.

At the end of our conversation, he told me to keep in touch, keep working hard and always maintain an open mindset. He stated that, at my age, my interests and skills can change and put me down a completely different, but more successful path. I viewed this advice as very unique and very helpful. Already, I can already see this as true because I thought my focus would be primarily graphic design, but as my college career continued, I developed a love for videography. 

Normally, I wouldn’t consider this a networking event by normal standards. However, the amount of people I met and input I received was similar to the amount of exposure I would get at a networking event. Also the fact that I got my name out to a number of people at this event made it very similar.

I hope everyone is wrapping up their internships well!

-J