Hello everyone!

My name is Jackson Bright and I go to Canisius for Communication Studies with concentrations in Public Relations and Media Studies. Currently I am interning in Charleston, West Virginia at a staffing agency called United Talent.

Image result for united talent charleston wv
Here is a picture of the logo, sorry I don’t have one of myself there yet!

At United Talent I am working as a HR coordinator; that entails many responsibilities and tasks that the company trusts me to complete to perfection. Already I have organized, entered, and completed staff payroll in platforms such as Bullhorn and Great Plains, and I have helped the company’s associates in finding anything from their paystubs or background check reports to their W2’s to give to their current employers. Before this experience I only had a general idea of what Human Relations was from guest speakers in classes and research that I did on my own, so I didn’t really know what to expect, but after just a few weeks interning at United Talent, I now know very well what HR is and that it could be a profession that I see myself doing in the future. I really like to help people and in this business and the HR department especially, helping people is the aim of the game, staff and clients alike.

Starting an internship in a place that is new both atmospherically and professionally can be a tough transition from college life and for that I commend my fellow interns and others who have also interned. However, moving to a different state for the summer while hardly knowing anyone was not a transition I was really looking forward to. I was nervous, I was anxious, and I was very out of my element. Being happy in Charleston really came down to how welcoming my distant family was that took me in with them, and how welcoming the staff was at United Talent. Like a family, everyone helps everyone there and no one lets another fall down. An atmosphere like this would make any intern feel happy and for that I am grateful.

Now I am in my own routine with slight variations from day to day. A lot of the work that needs to be done is on a case by case basis so there is no telling what problem might need to be solved on one particular Tuesday that might not have to be solved for months or even ever again. I am getting the hang of the internship and I am confident in the work I am doing, and above all else, I am happy interning in the HR department at United Talent.