Today I concluded my internship at General Motors Tonawanda Engine Plant, and I was actually very sad that I had to leave. Over the course of my four months there, I have developed so many relationships with wonderful people. I have gotten to know the Tonawanda team, grow with them, help them to gain more knowledge about the products they help to produce and power, learn about all of the wonderful things TEP does for the community, and so much more. Most importantly, I learned what it means to have a career in communications beyond my time here at Canisius. I have learned that there are several aspects that are vital to the job that I did not realize before such as:

• Being adaptable to changesĀ 
  • Being able to work with others to accomplish tasks
  • Being detail oriented and self-driven
  • Having the ability to learn new skills, software, and acronyms quickly
  • Being able to listen closely and communicate clearly and concisely
  • Being able to handle a crisis in a timely and orderly fashion

I have created long lasting connections, gotten to meet so many people inside and out of the company, and learned a lot about myself. My time at GM has provided me with skills I didn’t have before, and strengthened the skills I had before. I’m grateful to have worked alongside Mary Ann Brown, as she is very wise and graciously offered me this one time opportunity to learn from her. She has pushed me harder than I have been pushed before and helped me prove to myself that I can handle more than I ever thought. This internship has been wonderful, and I’m grateful I had the opportunity. Perhaps most wonderfully of all, I have validated that a career in Communications will be a career in which I am happy and thriving.