My internship is with the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation that handles all the fundraising and event planning responsibilities for Roswell Park. Roswell Park is a cancer research and treatment center. The Roswell Park Organization was the nation’s first cancer research center and grew from the vision of Dr. Roswell Park in 1898 to one of the leading cancer facilities in the country today. Treating more than 36,000 patients each year, Roswell Park manages to successfully handle investigations in the lab and the clinic as many historic breakthroughs in their research shows.

The Alliance Foundation coordinates fundraising events and is responsible for the creation of events such as The Ride for Roswell or The Empire State Ride. Additionally, employees of the Alliance Foundation help in organizing “bald for bucks” events and they support the Courage of Carly Fund.

My job as an intern at Roswell Park primarily focuses on writing blogs and news stories for the Ride for Roswell and the Empire State Ride. Additionally, I will help in recruiting donors through social media, phone calls and potentially events that are held outside of the office. So far I have been working on several news stories and blogs, as well as a phone script and multiple ideas on how to promote a blog on social media. When I worked on ideas how they could promote a blog on social media with catchy slogans that are not longer than 140 characters, I was certainly challenged and I put a lot of effort in this task.
Fortunately, my hard work paid off and my supervisor told me that she really liked my ideas.  Yet, it becomes even better because she actually used all of my suggestions for their actual promotion on Facebook. Realizing that my work is recognized and used for promotional purposes made me really happy and I will try my best to keep up the good work.

Overall, my first impressions of the work environment are great and I am always looking forward to come to my internship. It also comes in handy that Roswell Park is located right on Main Street and I can just use the NFTA metro to get to work. As an international student I don’t have a car and paying for an Uber or borrowing a friend’s car all the time would be quite a hassle.

All in all, I am satisfied with my current internship situation and I hope that it will get even better in the future.