Going into any new life experience, there is always a mixture of fear and excitement, Starting my internship was no different. This semester I am interning at The Botanical Gardens. Before I started I was super nervous due to the usual factors when starting a new job, from what will it be like to “will I fit in?” The one really nerve racking thing that I hadn’t experienced before this internship was trying to figure out the public transportation in Buffalo. Like many Canisius students, I have used the subway line; we are so lucky to have it here but that’s where my knowledge ended. Not having a car on campus, I knew I would have to figure out a way to get there. Three weeks in I am happy to say that I can efficiently use the bus and subway to get there, giving me a skill I didn’t know I was going to develop.

Moving on to my first couple of weeks at my internship, I was thrown right into it. Currently the Gardens are hosting something called Lumagination, which is where they light up the gardens at night. To kick this celebration off they have a Launch Party with food and drink. This event was on the third day I was there. I really got to see what goes into setting up for a major event, specifically one done for a non-profit, where they do not have a large staff to run it but instead do it through volunteers. For the next month I am really excited to see what I am going to learn through this event as well as more of the marketing side of things.

I am really excited to see what else I will learn and the people I will get the opportunity to meet.Though I am excited, I still get those nervous jitters, especially when I am doing something new at my internship. These jitters and nerves aren’t bad. In my mind they signify that I care about what I am doing and that I want to do a good job. All in all this new opportunity is teaching me a lot, from life skills such as public transportation, to marketing skills such as the need for free publicity.