I’m about to begin my third week interning at Tops Friendly Markets Headquarters and I couldn’t be happier. I walked in the building on my first day with my stomach tied into knots. I was immediately put at ease when the receptionist welcomed me and told me she hoped that my experience would be a positive one filled with learning. This positive atmosphere continued as my supervisor introduced me to the “team.” Each member welcomed me and told me they were there to answer any and all questions and to ensure that my internship was everything I wanted. Over the next few days, I was given an extensive tour of the building and an introduction to the company. I sat in on meetings with Tops’ ad agency and PR firm. At the end of my first week, my head was swimming with new information and I still didn’t know what I would be doing yet!

At the beginning of my second week, I was given my first assignment. I would be planning the grand opening for Tops’ newest store in Carmel, NY. I was told to start drafting emails and crafting a plan for the next few months. I was so excited to be given such a complex project so early. I was also told that I would be given a few other projects to keep me busy. I love being busy, so this was music to my ears.

As I begin my third week, I’m so excited to see what this internship has in store for me. I’m working with a great group of people that always take the extra second to explain what is going on or give me the backstory to a discussion. I know that this internship will provide me with the skills I need to start my career after graduation. And I might even be converted from a Wegmans lover to a Tops lover by May.