It is truly amazing how quickly time goes by. I feel like I walked into the lobby at The Buffalo News for the first time, blinked, and then walked out for the last. It is important to take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to you and to learn from the mistakes made along the way.

Overall, I learned a lot from my time as a promotions marketing intern at The Buffalo News. I learned that, for me, it is extremely important to love what I do. I know that when I look for a full time position, I would like to work in an environment of open-mindedness, enthusiasm and kindness. It is extremely important to foster positive relationships with your coworkers as you will spend a lot of time with them. It is equally as important to love what you are doing. I will not enjoy spending 40 hours a week where I feel that my labor reaps little success in making this world a better place to live in. I also desire a position where there is a balance between challenging, interesting and relaxing tasks.

I learned that it is important to ask questions during the interview process. You are interviewing the company just as much as they are interviewing you! If I were to do it again, I would ask more about the department and get a better idea of what the company culture was. It is important to clarify what your tasks would be so that you know what to expect. This is key for when you start working so that you know what your goals should entail regarding your position. I learned the importance of maintaining an ongoing dialogue with your supervisor to ensure that you are on the same page and each getting what you desire out of the internship experience.

There are so many aspects of the work world that must be learned on the job. The knowledge gained from work experience is extremely important whether it is in an internship or a full time position. Learning does not stop when you stop attending class. It is important to continue the pursuit of knowledge in order to reach your potential in the workplace.