The day before I was to start my internship at Buffalo Game Space I felt a little trepidation about the internship. I had already met John and some of the crew at BGS. I already knew relatively what was expected of me, what my job was to be and so forth. I had passed the Tri-Main Center, the building where BGS is located, a handful of times and actually had been inside a few times. No, everything was set and ready to go. My problem was that I wanted to make a good first impression, as far as starting my internship went. Of course, that did not happen day one.

On day one, I had scheduled a meeting with one of my professors. It was supposed to be only forty-five minutes, giving me about fifteen minutes to get to my internship. Of course, I got caught up in the conversation and was not paying attention to the time. Suffice to say, I was late to my internship. I rushed to Tri-Main and ran up to BGS. Pretty much as soon as I opened up the door, I was spewing apologies and telling John Futscher, my boss, that I would make up for the time the next day. He looked at me for a couple of seconds and then grinned at me. He made a joke of it, still laughing, and basically told me not to worry. Then we got down to business. He got me connected to the Wi-fi and then talked to me about my game design document. John said that he was happy with the scope of the game, but the document itself was a little vague; we would talk about it after I finished the tutorial. He told me that it would take me about two days to do the tutorial. As soon as I opened it up, I knew that the one he chose was going to be very helpful. It was a Space Invaders-like game, which had essentially the same mechanics as I would want for my game which was basically a Galaga/Space Invaders cross. I would be able to use much of the code that I was currently creating to spawn hazards, enemies, the control mechanics, and so forth. And so ended day one.

Day two went similarly, with the exception of me actually being on time. I started about an hour before John got to BGS, so I went to work on the tutorial. I had gotten stuck on a small part which I was able to fix before he got there. And then I remembered something he told me from the day before. It was three numbers, but I had forgotten what they were for. I asked him about the three-digit code. I was incredibly surprised what the code was for, and laughed. It was the code for the bathroom. Apparently, the owners of Tri-Main were afraid of random people walking around the place and using the bathrooms! After I was done laughing, I commented that it was the silliest thing I had heard of anyone doing. John’s reply had me shaking my head and smiling—the main floor bathrooms did not have a keypad, allowing anyone to use them. After that, I continued my tutorial. And that wraps up day two.

I think, so far, that I am settling in well enough. I mean, so far I have not had any need to talk to anyone but John. He seems to think I am doing good. And all I have really done so far is the tutorial. Plus, the atmosphere of the whole place matches my personality. It is quite laid back and not all that hurried. As long as you do what you are supposed to do, no problems. So far so good, and I cannot wait for week two.