In an effort to get as much professional experience as I could in college, I completed three internships through the Canisius Communication Studies department. During the summer of 2015, I interned in the promotions department at Entercom Communications; in the fall, I interned in the marketing department at Shea’s Performing Arts Center; and just this Wednesday I completed my spring internship at Righteous Babe Records.

At Righteous Babe, I did a lot of work relating to public relations and social media. I wrote press releases for upcoming shows at Babeville’s two concert venues for artists like Joan Baez, The Mountain Goats and Milk Carton Kids. I also wrote press releases for artists on Righteous Babe’s labels including its founding member Ani DiFranco. I wrote a lot of content for social media, like alerting fans of the label’s artists about blog posts and artists’ upcoming events. I also worked with my supervisor, who is Righteous Babe’s merchandise manager, to track inventory and ship orders from the online store. I received a very well rounded experience at Righteous Babe where I got to dabble in different areas, improve my writing skills, and learn about effective ways to use social media. As someone who hopes to have a future in the music industry, Righteous Babe was a great first step, and I will always value to experience.

After being an intern for nearly a year, it feels both scary and exciting to be moving onto the stage of finding a real job. However, I feel extremely prepared. What I learned in these past four years at Canisius and this past year as an intern will no doubt aid me in both finding a job and excelling in the position once I get one.