On April 16, 2014 I had an informational interview with Kim Pentheros at Gelia, an integrated marketing company located in Williamsville, New York. It was very interesting because I did not know what to expect. Ms. Pentheros is the Art Director and I discovered that she partakes in the creative process when she receives projects. I had always assumed that the art director conceptualized ideas and passed them along for others to actually bring to life beforehand. She also gave me lots of advice in regards to networking and getting my name out into the community. She said that informational meetings are a great way to showcase yourself as well as learn about opportunities that may not be posted online or elsewhere. In short, informational meetings can set you one step of the game because you can learn about a position earlier than others. They are also a way for people to become familiar with you and your work. Her advice was to do more and more of these. They could lead to a position.

In regards to portfolios, she said that they are a way of showing people what you have to offer. They are meant to leave an impression, so one must ensure that they construct it accordingly. One mistake on my part was that I forgot to bring my portfolio and resume. These could have been critiqued, however, I missed out on that. Don’t forget these things!