I was given the opportunity to meet with Phillip Weiss, Assistant Director of Development for the Alzheimer’s Association, Western New York Chapter.  This informational interview was beneficial because it allowed me to speak with someone in a field that I hope to soon work in.

I have a passion for doing work that is helpful for others.  It not only benefits them, but is rewarding to myself as well.  I would like to pursue a career where the outcome improves the lives of others, like Phil has done.  Phil has helped raise money for those affected by Alzheimer’s through fundraisers like Walk to End Alzheimer’s and other events.

“That is the most rewarding part, hitting your goals and being able to allocate those funds you just raised back into the community and serve them.”

I would also like a job that is ever changing and does not have a set daily routine. Working with the Alzheimer’s Association has allowed Phil to travel as well as work with a variety of individuals.  He oversees all chapter events by organizing events and collaborating with the host location.

The interview with Phil allowed me to see that I am just at the beginning of my profession journey.  It helped me to realize that each job is a stepping stone and a great learning opportunity – each experience will be beneficial no matter what the outcome.  Meeting with Phil made me excited for the future and showed me that my career goals are within reach.

“Network and get involved in what ever groups and organizations you can. It really is about who you know and who can help you in this tough world. Yes, a lot rides on your own ability and determination to succeed but it is nice to have other people fighting for you too.”