This semester I have the opportunity to intern at the Botanical Gardens in their Marketing and Special Events department. Because this is the first time I have had an internship, to say I was nervous going into my first day is an understatement. Fortunately for me, I work with another intern that started the same day as I did, so I knew I wouldn’t have to go through the first day alone. If I did have to go through the first day by myself I feel confident that I would feel as welcomed as I did that day. Everyone who works at the Botanical Gardens is  most welcoming. Even after the first day, people still make an effort to poke their heads in to say hello and see how I am doing while I am at work. It’s refreshing that people do not view me as the girl who can just get them coffee if they ask.
Speaking of which, I am not expected to get anyone coffee or anything related to that. While I may not be getting the most important or fun tasks as of now, I appreciate that they are still related to why I am there. So far the work I have done is basic essentials of any marketing/special events department. I create and upload all the events that the Botanical Gardens will be hosting from now until August on different websites that will reach a large audience including news channels or local Buffalo attraction sites. I have also completed mailings, designed signs for a raffle that was offered at an event, and helped set up and take down an event tjat attracted about 230 guests. “Lumagination Launch Party” is the name of the event; the Botanical Gardens is lit up and has a light show in each house. The light display is beautiful, brings in many guests, and will continue for the next few weeks.
In the weeks to come I hope to be involved in more projects and learn more about what it takes to work in the marketing and special events field. My supervisor briefly told me that she will be giving us more to do. I am excited to continue my journey at the Botanical Gardens and see what I can accomplish and learn over the next few months.