As the summer semester comes to an end I can only look back on my experiences with the Elmwood Village Association with gratitude and an open mind. Through out my work experience I have learned new office, communication and writing skills.

The beginning was an easy transition with learning office etiquette, company values and daily routines. My supervisor, Ashley, explained each of our tasks clearly for me and the other intern to understand what she wanted us to accomplish. She showed us social media tools such as Constant Contact and Hoot Suite that will be valuable in my future career opportunities.  I gained experience in key social media skills, E-Newsletter and blog writing and do’s and don’ts of office etiquette.

Throughout the semester I was involved in public relations writing, event development and volunteer opportunities. I volunteered at the EVA Gala Dinner, which allowed me to see the results of a major event planned but also boosted my communications skills. I was able to talk to people from the community and sit in on conversations by the event coordinators that discuss the highs and lows of the night. Eventually I volunteered at the weekly concerts put on by the EVA. During the semester I was involved in social media for these events, and to be able to see the in-person reactions to what I worked on was a valuable experience. For example, while tweeting during the show, I was able to interact with the community and how the event was moving along.

Overall, I couldn’t be more thankful for the experiences I gained over the summer. For my first internship I couldn’t have picked a better place to spend my time. Everyone I worked with in the office was tremendous and not only have I learned from them, but I have gained professional friends that I will be able to rely on in the future. One of the best outcomes of this internship was a boost in my communication skills. I am now more confident in pursuing more career opportunities in my field than I was before.