My internship this semester at the Elmwood Village Association was most likely the single most valuable part of my college experience. I am so grateful to both of my supervisors for taking the time and effort to teach me valuable new skills, to assist me in making networking connections, and maintaining an environment of open communication in the office. I learned real-world communications skills that I felt I should have learned in school – like Hootsuite and Constant Contact, both pillars of digital marketing – and they proved to be far more useful than any theory class I’ve taken. I highly recommend that those skills be taught to undergraduates, at least in addition to the research courses we take now.

My only regret with this internship was that it ended before the EVA summer event season really kicked in to high gear, with summer concerts and the farmers’ market starting after the end of the semester. Fortunately, the Elmwood Village Association is a not-for-profit organization and is always in need of volunteers. I hope to maintain my connection with them in the future and am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to have worked with them.