As I reflect on my internship, I could not ask for a better experience. Not only do I have plenty of work added in to my portfolio, but I learned a lot along the way. Whether I was taught a new shortcut, or just how to design a pattern, I feel better equipped to enter the “real world.”

Everyone that I worked with was great. I loved what I was working on and the projects I helped with. However, the best thing that I learned is that I do not want to be a Graphic Designer. Through this internship I learned exactly what a graphic designer does. They cut and design menus, design labels, packaging, logos, business cards, letterheads, etc. Although I enjoyed designing these things during my time at Abbey Mecca, I cannot see myself doing that the rest of my life. That is the thing I am most thankful for. I think the only way I would have learned that is through my internship. I would rather learn this lesson now, as an intern, than five years down the road when I feel stuck at my job.

Since about seventh grade, I knew I wanted to be a designer. During my time at Canisius College I had my mind set on being a Graphic Designer at an ad agency. It was about three-quarters of the way through when I realized that I could not see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

Nothing is more confusing than realizing your “dream job” is not for you. Because of my internship, I have learned that there are unlimited design jobs out there. Although I am not sure what my style is or what exactly I want to do, I am one step closer.