Everyone, when they are new to something, is bound to have something go wrong. From tripping and falling as you are walking in the snow to get to your internship to getting lost when trying to find the office you are working in, every “new” intern experiences this. For me personally going into my internship, I wasn’t fully sure what to expect. On my ride there, everything that could go wrong did. First I couldn’t find the entrance to the building. I finally found it, but to add to the issues, there was no parking. I eventually found myself in a gated parking lot where it is a pay by the hour rate. A little shook up by the time it took me to park, I made my way into the office building. Here came trip up #3.  As I walked into the front doors of the office I was greeted by another set of doors, and every one I tried was locked. At this point I started to really worry, “was I at the wrong place?”, “did I get there at the wrong time?”  Then I noticed a small silver button that said push me on the side of one of the doors. I pressed it only to be greeted by the sound of the doors unlocking. I walked in to see a giggling secretary greeting me. She said that everyone has a mini panic attack like I did the first time they come to their office. With a sigh of relief, I began to calm down, realizing that this happens to everyone.

I finally made it.  I took the elevator up to the 4th floor to be greeted by another worker at the office asking if I knew where I was going and she took me over to my supervisor. On our way over, she joked and asked if I got tripped up by the front doors being locked. Slightly embarrassed, I told her how I was another victim of  the puzzle that was the locked doors. We both laughed and right then and there I made my first friend at the office. Finally I saw my boss.  He and I talked for a bit and he, like everyone in the office, asked me about those pesky front doors, and eventually I began my internship. At first I thought of the locked doors as a freak-out moment, but it turned out to be a great talking point and helped me meet a few new people.

At the end of the internship day, my supervisor gave me a little piece of paper to validate my parking so that I wouldn’t have to pay to park. With all those trip ups, my day ended up being a very smooth one. I had a blast, I met new people, and I felt at home. I made my way to my car, and finally to the end the day. To top off my luck that day, I drove up to the gate, and the ticket machine was jammed. I had to wait there for a maintenance  man to come over and let me out. He laughed, I laughed, and surprisingly enough we ended up having a conversation for a few minutes. Another new friend at my internship to add to the list. Even though I had all those things go wrong, they helped me make new friends and feel more comfortable at my internship.