When I started my internship with the Sabres in September, I had only one thing on my mind: What can I do to set myself apart? I had just finished my last internship, at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, at which I thought I had pretty successful summer. But I knew this would be different: in Pittsburgh, I dedicated 40-hour work weeks to my internship. Now, I was going to have to balance my role as an intern with school, my part-time job and, most significantly, the school paper.

Three months later, my goal is no longer as much about setting myself apart as it is making myself fit in. I’ve been really happy with my experience so far. At the outset, I was told I’d be doing very little Sabres game coverage – my focus would be on local hockey and the Bandits. I’m glad to say that since then, now at the NHL’s All-Star break, I’ve covered six Sabres games. I’m not sure if that means I’m doing something right – I hope it does – but I know that it’s meant a lot to me.

It’s not that I completely prefer covering the Sabres over my other assignments. I try to bring new ideas to the table when I can to show my interest in those things, too. The reason I like covering the Sabres is because that’s when everyone is there – it’s the best time to network, to meet people, and to make yourself feel like a part of the organization.

And really, that’s my only goal: to become a part of the organization. If a job opens someday, I want to be the one they call, and I want them to call me because they know I’m willing to work hard and go the extra mile. If I’ve made that clear, then I think that I’m off to a good start.