This is my third week interning with the Goin’ Bald for Bucks program at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. I was, and continue to be, very excited to intern with a not for profit organization whose name is known across the country. More specifically, I was eager to start interning in the special events department planning and executing various tasks leading up to and following Bald for Bucks events. In a nut shell, Goin’ Bald for Bucks is a program for individuals and teams alike to join together and go bald (or cut 8″ off to donate to Locks of Love) in support of past and current cancer patients/survivors. Individuals raise money leading up to the event, and this money goes toward unrestricted funding such as critical cancer research and patient care programming. Needless to say, being a part of such an amazing community of supporters working towards a world without cancer is truly an awe-inspiring experience.

My first week interning involved a lot of research, educating myself about the program, learning how to build incentive and prize packs for events, and social media updates. Melissa, my supervisor, explained the importance of knowing the “ins and outs” of the program to ensure correct information is provided when speaking with participants, supporters, etc. I had no previous experience and very little knowledge of Bald for Bucks, and now I love to tell people all about this amazing program! It’s remarkable to see all the work behind the scenes come together at an event.

The first event I was able to attend was at Lancaster High School. I was nervous going into this event, considering my tendency to get emotional at the drop of a hat. How was I supposed to stand back, watch over 80 students shave their heads in support of a world without cancer, hear their personal stories, and not get a little teary-eyed? Luckily, Bald for Bucks events are extremely upbeat and rally people together in an energetic, up-lifting way, so I found myself laughing and smiling with the students instead of tearing up. The entire varsity basketball team shaved their heads in honor of a father of two brothers on the team who lost his life to cancer. It was amazing to see the group of boys join together to support their teammates. DJ Anthony and players from the Buffalo Bandits also attended the event, and it was a lot of fun to see the students get involved and interact with them. During the event my task was to take pictures and update social media. I may be biased, but I thought this was the best job because I was able to talk with students and faculty in the midst of the fun! Overall, Lancaster High School raised over $18,000 in the fight against cancer.

This event only heightened my excitement as an intern for Bald for Bucks. Now that I have a picture of the end goal (a successful event) in mind, it makes reaching out to new schools easier and gives preparing materials for events an even greater purpose. I can’t wait to hear feedback about this event and attend the next one!

Check out this picture from Lancaster’s Bald for Bucks event last week! (And if you’re itching for more, follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BaldforBucks)