I came into my internship with Hearst Media thinking writing was simple, and one size fits all. I knew that different writing styles existed, but I thought I could take my journalistic writing and just sail through social media posting. I was wrong. This internship required me to think quickly and work through issues. I had to find different writing styles and think from the perspective of the customer, not just myself or the business.

My goal coming into this was to improve on my writing and editing skills,while gaining a knowledge of the industry as a whole. In two aspects, this internship was a major success. I believe my writing ability improved throughout the entire semester. While this style of writing is different from journalism, it allowed me to touch on different areas and expand my knowledge. I also got the chance to see the industry at work. The people in the office worked fast all day to ensure they didn’t fall behind, and I had to keep up. It was hard in the beginning to put out a decent work amount, but by the end, I was getting the job done. Where I feel this internship fell short was in the editorial aspect. I did not get the chance to edit very much, which is something I wanted to do, but in hindsight, I should have been more aggressive in wanting it. Had I been more vocal about wanting to edit, the chances are I would have been able to.

I consider this internship a huge success on multiple fronts. I gained an appreciation for the business, seeing everyone work so diligently and the stress that came to the managers in the office. The entire office accepted me and in the end, I gained appreciation for everything. I learned a lot from my colleagues and I would like to think they learned a little from my perspective. Everyone was there to help me when I needed it, which is always appreciated. The kind nature around the office was welcoming, and I felt at home there. It was truly a great experience, one that will only help me moving forward.