My name is Madison Musilli.  I am a senior at Canisius College.  I am a dual major in Digital Media Arts and Communication Studies with a concentration in Advertising, Public Relations and Marketing.  With graduation approaching, I decided to take part in an internship in hopes of getting a professional feel for the field I would soon be working in.  I applied for a Digital Engagement Intern position at Perry’s Ice Cream and after a process of interviews and writing samples, I was awarded the internship.

I began to anticipate my first day.  I soon received my orientation schedule in the mail and was instantly overwhelmed by emotion.  I was anxious to begin, with excitement of this new learning opportunity, yet nervous about what precisely it would entail.  The fact that my orientation included a 15-minute ice cream break slightly eased my nerves.

I am now in my fifth week of my internship and have to say that I could not have imagined anything better.  I was instantly welcomed and already feel like part of the Perry’s professional family.  I am assisting the Marketing Department with promotional activities.  Specifically, I run their social media and sweepstakes as well as monitor customer comments and interactions.  I am able to design promotional images used through their social media and on the Perry’s website.

I have to admit that at first it was overwhelming and intimidating.  I was learning new skills and working with professionals who had been in the industry for years.  It took a bit of time and adjustment but I now feel much more confident in my position!  It is important to listen and be open to criticism.  This will allow the chance to become familiar with the company’s unique style.   It is also valuable to ask questions when not fully understanding something as well as taking notes to refer back to.  Although I am still in the beginning stages and getting a feel for the position, I am excited to see where the rest of my experience will take me!

Read more about my experience via: http://perrysicecream.blogspot.com/2014/02/becoming-part-of-perrys-professional.html