Select Page

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
X-NONE

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;
mso-bidi-font-family:”Times New Roman”;
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Minutes, ACAC meeting, Friday, May 3, 1-2pm, by Sue Margulis, Ph.D.

Chuck Wigley called the meeting to order at 1:06pm

I.  Introductions & Approval of Minutes

The minutes of the April 10 meeting were approved.

 

II.  Discussion of ACAC BYOC (Bring Your Own Chicken) Picnic

At the last meeting, Chuck suggested that ACAC hold a summer picnic for ACAC members and families. The group confirmed that this as a good idea, and decided on the following:

Date: Friday, June 21, 3pm

Place: in the treed area outside Science Hall (between the M&T parking lot and the Science Hall entrance)

Details: Jodi will set up an ACAC Angel site, on which individuals can sign up to bring a dish to pass. Leah will look into the possibility of getting tables from Events.

Details will follow.

III.  ITS’ UPDATES

Estelle reported that we are getting close to an agreement with Desire2Learn (D2L) for an eventual replacement of Angel. We will have 1 year of D2L free, with approximately 1000 user licenses. It is likely that every faculty member will be able to have an account, with students receiving access as needed. Once a few final clarifications are made to the master agreement, the contract will go to Pat Richey for signature (he has stated that it is a go, as long as we get the first year free). The commitment will be for five years. Training provisions have yet to be finalized, but there will be several training options, and our choice will be based on budgetary considerations. D2L will not be in place for summer classes, but will be ready for use for the fall (D2L will likely be ready for use by mid-June).  Although it is hoped that online programs will transition first, it isn’t clear that all programs will opt to do this; further discussion on this is in progress. Everyone will need to transition by Fall ’14. ACAC expressed gratitude to ITS for moving so rapidly on this.

On Tuesday June 4 an online teaching summit will take place on campus. This is a full day of presentations from people who teach on line, and presenters are still being solicited. Contact Estelle for more information.  The summit will be held on the second floor of the student center. The content will be useful for those who teach online, hybrid, and blended courses.

Workshops: Dates and details can be found through OLC (Online Learning Community), through the portal, and the ITS webpage. In May, workshops and usergroup meetings are scheduled for Smartboards, email retention, and google apps. More are scheduled throughout the summer. Gotomeeting workshops are scheduled monthly. Softchalk and online course building workshops will take place this summer. Two Apple workshops are scheduled for May 14 (i-book authoring and i-tunes U).

 

Details can be found via the following links:

http://www.canisius.edu/its  (link in “Related Links” box)

http://www.canisius.edu/olc  –  click on the “Workshops” menu

In the portal – click on Email, Angel and Services; ITS Workshops is in the center “Campus Services” column  https://surveys.canisius.edu/workshops.aspx

 Apple workshops

– Content Creation — iBooks Author and Today’s ePub – Class
            · Canisius College: May 14 – Time: 9:00AM – noon– https://edseminars.apple.com/event/P695D-HdA5Z
– iTunes U — Course distribution for rich, immersive learning experiences
             · Canisius College: May 14 – Time: 1:00PM – 2:30PM https://edseminars.apple.com/event/gQ6SA-9wq53

Please be sure to let ITS know about fall software needs by July 1. Some labs and technology classrooms will have new computers. 

There will be a computer replacement budget (for computers dating to 2008 and 2009; it is not likely that 2010 computers will be included at this time). ITS expects to be able to order computers by June 1.

ITS is moving! Network services, including the server room, will move to the lower level of Science Hall. The FaCTS center will remain, however Joe Rizzo will move to the Library (to the Helpdesk area). Estelle will also move to the Library. Computer support staff are moving to Horan-O’Donnell, to the offices being vacated by Physics’ move to Science Hall, although this might not take place until September. Wehle will be vacated.

 

IV. Enhancing ACAC Membership & Reporting Function

Chuck suggested shifting the timing of ACAC meetings from 2 to 2:15 to better accommodate faculty who teach until 2:15. This will be put in place in the fall. Meetings will continue to be scheduled for the President’s Board Room, however Chuck will also look into a larger room, in hopes of encouraging greater participation. Chuck will get an official ACAC membership list.

V. New Business.

Mark Meyer asked about problems associated with wireless access (it is a Gryphon problem). Apparently there are not enough licenses to accommodate the many smartphone, ipad and laptop users. Estelle will look into possible fixes that could be implemented at relatively low cost.

Chuck suggested that we consider inviting President Hurley to our October meeting to discuss the importance of technology on campus, and have a student reporter at the meeting to document. ACAC serves as an excellent example of faculty and administration working together independent of other initiatives.  

The meeting adjourned 1:55

Please subscribe to our RSS feed!

http://www.canisiuscampus.net/acac/?feed=rss2 

PLEASE NOTE: You may join or attend ACAC as an individual (i.e., even if you are not the designated representative of a department).  ACAC minutes may be found by typing in the following URL;

http://www.canisiuscampus.net/acac/