By Allison | February 26, 2010
Quick recap of the month..
- The Shi family added a seventh child to their wonderful family. Phil got to name the baby.. he named him Galahad Lancelot Shi. (I wish I were joking)
- I got a reply from a Peace Corps friend in Ghana after not hearing from him since October.
- In exactly one month myself, Polly, Allana and Jess (other JVI’s in Belize City) will be traveling to Nicaragua to celebrate our Easter break with the JVI community in Managua - SOO EXCITED!
- I got internet at my School! Hooray development! (Still waiting for wireless in my library lol)
- Kayaked the Moho River and almost drowned - twice. But met some wonderful bushmen along the way.
- Biked the 14 mile mountainous terrain from Big Falls to PG town several times (getting back in shape!)
- Made my first trip back to the city since arriving in August!
- Enjoyed a retreat at Trinidad Farms with all 11 of my fellow JVIs.
- Witnessed a volunteer get ‘fired’ from their job. I didn’t know that was possible.
- Welcomed Pat and Matt’s visitors and took them out on the town for a night of Belikins and karaoke.
- Learned how to drive standard all by myself – well a young Jamaican novice was with me but he didn’t know how to drive at all (these lessons will make for a good next blog post lol).
- Decided to go vegetarian for lent (am totally kicking myself now for suggesting this to my community, I want to eat BBQ tonight!)
- I started a Creative Writing and Speech Club for the Upper Division classes at my school in the afternoons. I am totally loving it!
- My job is slowly being transformed from librarian/remedial reading teacher into part-time counselor.
- Because of my job evolution, my ideas about what I want to go back to school for are slowly changing as well (goodbye international development, hello psychology).
- I spent a weekend in Placencia dancing with friends, running into local PG folk (you can never get away from them!), jamming out on guitar and drums watching the sun set and eating BBQ at a friends place, and participating the the Winter Beach Olympics (so much fun). Then later that night while at a Canadians house I got to watch the USA Men’s Hockey team wipe Canada’s face all over the ice :)
- Oh, and last but not certainly not least, I saw and heard the shuttle reentry Sunday night - which may I note, everyone was totally unaware of – we though it was an asteroid coming to destroy the planet Earth two years too early.
What will the month of March hold?