About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

A Week Gone Already?

By Kilee Brown | January 24, 2014

I am in complete shock that I am already 2 weeks in to this semester! It does not seem possible!

I am continuing to become acclimated to both of the schools I will be working at for my practicum placement. The teachers that I have met and worked with thus far seem very passionate about the students. They want the students to grow as a person within society, not just within their subject areas. It is so refreshing to see that care and enthusiasm for students. This makes me look forward to working with teachers like that both in my practicum and in schools when I am actually working in the field.

I am still working on adjusting my mindset into the “counseling role” and not the “teacher role. There are so many things I’d love to learn and help students be successful in.

As I manage my hectic schedule, I know I have to take a step back to make time for family and friends because without them I know I wouldn’t be where I am today. I also need to make sure that I am eating well, exercising, and sleeping well. After all, how I am supposed to encourage students to be good to their minds and bodies, if I am not doing the same.

Topics: School Counseling | Comments Off