About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

How Do You Cope?

By Kilee Brown | November 15, 2013

As a professional school counselor in training, I will continuously be asking my clients to develop coping mechanisms to adjust to the changes of their every day lives. Each and every person is different in how they cope with changes and struggles. Some draw near to friends and family, others may distance themselves from people in order to regroup. Some remain true to their hobbies, and others develop new hobbies. As I prepare to ask clients to develop these ways of coping, I must ask myself: How do I cope? I can’t expect my clients to do something when I am not willing to do the same.

Having effective coping strategies makes the world of difference in how one views the struggles and changes brought into their lives. Personally, one of my FAVORITE coping strategies is running and other types of exercise. Exercise allows me to release any built up stress that I have in a positive way.

How do YOU cope?

Topics: School Counseling | Comments Off