About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Stepping Outside of Graduate School

By Kilee Brown | November 8, 2013

This past winter, I moved to Buffalo to attend Canisius College specifically for my graduate program in school counseling. During my first semester, I lived on campus. While living on campus, I had the opportunity to attend sporting events and other campus events, in which I was able to positively interact with both undergraduate and graduate students at Canisius.  

When I decided to pursue my Masters degree in school counseling, I never expected to be as happy as I am with my choice of profession or my choice of institution. In the school counseling/mental health program, we as “professionals-in-training” are expected to look beyond the textbook and take a close look at ourselves to grow both professionally and personally. In each and every one of my courses that I have taken so far in the program, I have been constantly reminded of the importance of self-care, both physically and emotionally. We are also often told that we as future counselors need to be “stepping outside of our comfort zones” and doing things that make us a little uncomfortable because that’s exactly what we ask of our clients on a regular basis. I have grown           tremendously as a person and as a professional through this program and I could not be happier with the experiences I have had so far at Canisius.

I just registered for my third semester and I realized I’m almost halfway through! It really is crazy to believe. I was asked to begin my practicum placement a few months early and I am very excited to begin next week! Next semester, I will be completing my practicum and taking other courses, as well as continuing to participate in the mentor program through Sweet Home Middle School. These next seven months are going to be busy, but I’m definitely thrilled for the experiences that await me!

-Kilee Brown

Topics: Counseling and Human Services | Comments Off