About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Tracking Your Diet

By Alycia Gossett | April 19, 2013

Do you know what your diet consists of? Sure, you may think you have a healthy diet, but do you really? Maybe you know your diet is rather unhealthy, but do you know how out of control it really is? With today’s technology you can find out the answers to these questions instantly.

With a quick GOOGLE search, you can find a bunch of dietary analysis websites. To name a few there is Choose My Plate, My Fitness Pal, SPARK People, The Daily Plate, My Net Diary, and Fit Day. All of these sites are very user-friendly and most of them have mobile applications that make them even more convenient to use. The dietary analysis website will likely ask you a few general questions including, age, gender, height, weight, and activity level. Answering these questions will help your analysis report be as accurate as possible. After answering a few questions all you have to do is record what you ate throughout the day and how much of it. The food databases on these websites are huge so you shouldn’t have any problems with the website not recognizing the foods that you ate. After you finish recording what you ate for the day the website will analyze you intake and present you with an easy to read report. The report usually consists of your total caloric intake and your intake of each macronutrient and micronutrient. It will then show you if you are under, over, or in an acceptable range for your daily recommended intake.

My latest assignment for the Nutrition course I am currently taking was to track my diet and analyze my consumption using a dietary analysis website. First of all, using a dietary analysis website is significantly easier and faster than having to analyze your diet by hand. After completing the assignment I could clearly see what aspects of my diet I need to work on. Another nice thing about these dietary analysis websites is that you can track your diet for as long as you want. So if you make improvements to your diet you can clearly see the positive changes you have made! Of course, before making any drastic changes to your diet you should consult a physician, registered dietitian, or another health professional. Personally, I would not use these websites over a long period of time, but if you are looking to get a general idea about your diet and areas of improvement these sites can be very helpful.

Topics: Health and Human Performance, Uncategorized | 1 Comment »

One Response to “Tracking Your Diet”

1. mordechai Says:
    April 23rd, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for bringing to the publics attention the availability of dietary analysis websites. The idea of keeping a daily journal of the foods we consume is a positive first step towards better health. I found most of the sites mentioned excellent for calorie counting and weight management.
    I would rely on them less for determining the nutritional value of the foods we eat. Rather let one stick to the basics of natural, whole, plant based foods.