«

»

Mar 19

Online Learning

The 2nd spring semester is off to a good start! This semester I am taking Nutrition which is a fully online course. During the fall I took a hybrid course which was taught half in class and half online. This is the first time I have ever taken a fully online class so I was a little apprehensive about it. After completing my first week I can confidently say, so far, so good.

I am not great with computers so I was a little worried I would not be able to figure things out, but it is really simple. Each week the teacher puts up a folder with all the material you need to complete for the week. At first not having face to face interaction with my teacher and peers was a little strange but there still is a lot of interaction, just in a different way. The teacher-student relationship is still there because the teacher posts PowerPoint presentations with voice over recording. It helps a lot being able to actually hear the teacher’s voice instead of having to read it on your own. I am also still able to interact with my peers because each week we have to respond to a question the teacher has given us and also respond to what our peers have to say. Basically there is constant dialog going on throughout the week among the whole class. During the first week we had to introduce ourselves and I found it really cool that the people in my class were from all over the country!

It is really nice not having to go to class at night. However, I found it takes a lot of self-discipline to complete all your work for the week. Without actually having to go to class it is a lot easier to procrastinate and then get distracted when you actually do sit down to do your work. The first time I went over the PowerPoint slides with voiceover recording I had the television on in the background. Needless to say what should have been a 30 minute assignment took me 1 ½ hours. Since then I have scheduled times throughout the week when I sit down without any distractions to get my work done. I’ve found this method to be a lot more effective.