«

»

Feb 01

What’s your New Year’s Resolution?

Can you believe it is already February?! Here is the big question, how many of you have kept up with your New Year’s resolution? Yay, for those of you who have! Keep up the good work! For those of you who have not, I have some good news. There is 11 more months left in the year for you to work on it!

According to Time Magazine one of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight and get physically fit. However, “research says that 60% of gym memberships go unused and attendance is usually back to normal by mid-February.” What is the reason for this? Some might say laziness, being to busy, not seeing results, and so on. Personally, I think a lot of it comes down to education. Eat a health diet and exercise. Easy right? If it were that easy a lot more people would have success with it. The key is to learn HOW to eat a healthy diet and HOW to exercise.

Through the courses I have taken so far in graduate school, particularly Exercise Testing and Functional Conditioning, I have learned a lot about exercise programs. I’ve also learned a lot about Nutrition but I will save that for a later time. For now, I hope to help those of you who bought an expensive gym membership at the beginning of January. For those of you who don’t have a gym membership you certainly don’t need one to get in shape. No excuses! Here are a few key points I have learned through my Health and Human Performance courses.

There are 5 Health Related Physical Fitness Components

• Cardiorespiratory Fitness
  •  Muscular Strength
  • Muscular Endurance
  • Flexibility
  • Body Composition

**Take some time and learn what each component is all about and let it be a guide for your exercise program. Working on all 5 components is important for your overall physical fitness.

• Set Goals

• Short term goals
  •  Long term goals

**Make sure these goals are realistic!

• Workouts

•  Don’t underestimate the importance of a warm up and cool down.
  • Learn how to do each exercise correctly. Don’t be afraid to ask someone for help!
  • If the same exercises are used repeatedly over a long period of time, the gain decreases.

-Increase your frequency, intensity, and time of your workouts.

-Vary your workouts, be creative!

- Everyone is different, find what works for you and what is enjoyable for you.

No Pain, No Gain! (NOT ALWAYS TRUE)

• Listen to your body

• Commitment

•  Get MOTIVATED!
  • Remember to REST and REFUEL

***Last but not least! Don’t sabotage yourself. Eating a bowl of ice cream after every workout is not a good idea! …..Even though it sounds like it.

Good luck!

1 comment

1. avatar
    Jeff K

Great post Alycia! Definitely got me thinking about listening to your body and making healthy diet choices after exercise. Food is fuel!

Comments have been disabled.