About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

All Done!

By Alycia Gossett | December 13, 2012

Yay! I have officially finished my 1st semester of graduate school. It’s always a good feeling when you get passed the rush of final papers, projects, and finals. Now it is time for a solid month of break! To start off my break I was surprised with tickets to go see the Progressive Skating and Gymnastics Spectacular this weekend! I am so excited! The show will be featuring the Fierce Five and many other accomplished gymnasts and ice skaters. Other than that I don’t have much planned other than working and spending time with family and friends. It will certainly be nice to regroup before starting semester #2.

My first thought as I reflect upon my 1st semester is that I definitely made the right choice. After undergrad I was a little unsure what I wanted to do next. Go to graduate school? Stick with my major, or find something in a related field? Look for a job? I thought it was stressful deciding what to do after graduating from high school. That was nothing compared to the stress after graduating from undergrad. Obviously, I chose to go to graduate school to study Health and Human Performance, but that came with its own questions and fears. In undergrad my major was physical education. Switching colleges and not continuing to specifically study Physical Education was a big leap of faith.

So far I can say that leap of faith has really paid off for me. Health and Human Performance is a related field to Physical Education so it will still count towards my certification in becoming a teacher. However, we all know the job market it pretty tough right now so I feel I have really opened up my career options by studying Health and Human Performance. With that said, I feel my physical education background has helped me with Health and Human Performance and vice versa.

Beyond all the logistics I have met some great people. I am amazed by how well the people in this program help each other out, both in and out of the classroom. There are a number of professors and students I can turn to if I have a question about something. In addition, the students in this program have a lot of fun. We all click really well. So much so that most of the time we get to class early just to hang out.

Hopefully my second semester goes just as well as the first!

Topics: Health and Human Performance | Comments Off