About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Time Flies When You’re Having Fun!

By Alycia Gossett | December 3, 2012

I cannot believe there is only 2 weeks left before classes are over! Time is really flying by. My Thanksgiving break was great. As I mentioned in my last post I ran in the YMCA Buffalo Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. The “trot” was definitely the highlight of my break. Thousands and thousands of runners and walkers participated in the 8K race. The energy level was so high. People were dressed up in costumes and in the best of spirits. To make it even better they started off the race with Carly Rae Jepsen’s song “Call Me Maybe” blearing from the speakers (my favorite song!). The weather was absolutely perfect too, it was in the mid- 50′s with very little wind. The proceeds of the race went to the Buffalo Niagara YMCA, which is a great organization that promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Anyone who goes to Canisius or lives in the Buffalo area I would highly recommend participating in the Turkey trot, I promise you will not regret it!

Two more weeks of class left, which means two more weeks until winter break! My main challenge will be to stay FOCUSED. With a long break coming up and lots of fun things ahead I have found it very easy to get off track. For my Cardiovascular Pharmacodynamics class I have a quiz, unit test, and a final left to complete. For those of you who are not familiar with what pharmacodynamics is, it can be defined as, “the study of the biomechanical and physiologic effects of drugs and their mechanisms of action. The focus of the class is to have a basic knowledge of cardiovascular/pulmonary drugs and how they help treat various disorders. So far we have covered antianginal drugs, antihypertensive drugs, antiarryhthmic drugs, drugs used to treat congestive heart failure, antihyperlipidemic drugs, antithrombic drugs, and fibrinolytic drugs. Little stressful when I look at it like that, but it is interesting information and once you understand the concepts it is not too difficult. Most of the students in the class are Health and Human Performance students who are concentrating in cardiac rehabilitation. Although our ultimate goal is not Pharmacy it is important we understand the information because many of our patients will be using these types of drugs. Even when you want to slack off in graduate school, you really can’t because you will NEED to know the information, your career depends on it, and more importantly the people you are trying to help depend on it.

Topics: Health and Human Performance | Comments Off