«

»

Nov 28

Fascination

I sincerely have a true love for children with disabilities.  I find the diversity and differences between students fascinating.

The types of students I am working with at Summit fascinate me the most. While there may only be six students in the classroom, they sure do keep us all on our toes!  There is never a dull moment and never a single second I am not learning something about either the student I am working with, my field, or myself.  And just when you think you have a student “figured out” (ie: knowing what might set them off, knowing what they like or do not like, knowing how to properly prompt them to complete a task, etc.)… they surprise you and do the exact opposite you would have expected!  You can’t get that type of spontaneity in most other jobs!  Every day is a lesson in being a flexible and modest educator and person.

Sometimes, I’ll be honest, I’ll catch myself just watching the student I am working with.  I am very inquisitive, so sometimes I am curious to see what they are doing and try to think about what’s going on in their minds.  It’s difficult to know precisely why a student with Autism is doing what they’re doing because they can’t tell you verbally. However, a lot of what you need to know from these students verbally, translates into their behavior.  So I have been quite interested lately in studying my six students’ behaviors as much as possible so as to better understand them personally.

It’s hard for me to describe my students, and even more difficult for me to explain my adoration and respect for them.  I hope I have conveyed to you how much I love my field, how much I love my student teaching experience both past and present, and how blessed I feel to be working with such wonderful human beings every day of my life!

Stay tuned for more talk of student teaching, Summit, and my life as a Canisius grad student!