About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Title IX…A Legacy of Change

By gray20 | November 26, 2012

“Athletes don’t care about Title IX. They just want to play the game!”- Shannon Blosser

While I was working the basketball game on Nov. 9th, Canisius honored the women who played basketball in the initial year of Title IX. 2012 is the 40th anniversary of Title IX, which was passed on June 23rd, 1972. Title IX is the amendment that guarantees no discrimination based on sex, under any educational program or activity that receives federal funding.  As I witnessed those women, I wondered the significance of Title IX. Here are some numbers that really stood out in my research.

Although those numbers are great, further work still needs to be done.

When I started writing this blog, my intention was to draw attention to women and the anniversary of Title IX. However, as this process has evolved I find myself thinking of my mom, my hero. My mom has always been the rock of the family. She lived through Title IX and remembers the inequality at her high school. I remember her telling stories of how in high school she played 6 on 6 in basketball and only played half court. My mom was always throwing the baseball, or kicking the soccer ball around with us. My parents recognized that sport was important to the development and health of my brother and myself. They moved us to a small private school where we could play and excel in sports (Both my brother and myself played multiple sports, and received athletic scholarships in college). My brother only graduated high school because of sports. On the 40th anniversary of Title IX, I am amazed at the changes that have occurred. My understanding only comes from statistics and second hand accounts. Women like my mom, and millions of other women, continue to shatter the glass ceilings of the world, and I believe that sports has played a role in that. I want to thank the countless women whom have battled for equal rights, equal pay, and equality among genders. Most of all I want to thank my mom, whose love for sports has helped shape the man I am today. With all my heart, thank you Mom!

Until next time,

Brent Gray

[1] Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Policy Interpretation, 44 Fed. Reg. at 71419 (1979).

[2] Remarks of Senator Stevens (R-AL), 130 Cong. Rec. S 4601 (daily ed. April 12, 1984).

[3] National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), 1981-82—2008-09 NCAA Sports Sponsorship and Participation Rates Report 66 (November 18).

[4] NCAA, 1981-82—2005-06 Participation Rates Report, 76, 78, 224 supra note 3

[5] NCAA, 2003-04 Gender-Equity Report 12, 25 (Sept. 2006).

Topics: Sport Administration | Comments Off