About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Hybrid Classes

By Alycia Gossett | November 7, 2012

I have officially completed my first 6 credits of Graduate School. Only 29 credits to go! I’m not really counting down the credits for reasons you might think. I really enjoying my program and want to get everything I can out of it before entering the profession. I feel I have learned so much already and I still have more than 75% of my program to go. I am happy to say that instead of looking at that percentage as overwhelming, I see it as exciting that I have that much more knowledge to gain.

Last week I started my Fall Term 2 class. The name of the class is Cardiovascular Pharmacodynamics. Yes, it is as tough as it sounds. Just like all of the other courses in the program it is 8 weeks long. However, this course is hybrid. That means half of the information is presented in class and half of the information is presented online. I have never been exposed to this format of learning before and I have found it to have some positives and some negatives.

Our class meets once a week for 3 hours. During this time the professor reviews past material, presents new material, and we can discuss anything we have comments or concerns about. I found meeting once a week is nice because you still get the face-to-face interaction with the professor and the rest of your classmates. Having the rest of the information presented online is also nice because you can do it during your own free time. We usually get a full week to get through the material we are assigned before we are quizzed on it. This set up makes it nice for people with other jobs, families, or just simply a busy schedule.

If you are a procrastinator you may find a hybrid course a bit difficult. Although you have a week to learn the new material, you have to make the time to do it. Although, I do enjoy learning and do enjoy the class, when it comes down to watching Dancing With the Stars or doing the online class, I think you can guess which one will win. With that said, If you have good time management skills and stay on top of your work there really isn’t a negative aspect about taking a hybrid course. However, it is still early in the term so I will let you know how it is working out for me!

Topics: Health and Human Performance | Comments Off