About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Mentoring Reception

By Deanna Rose | October 22, 2012

On Thursday, October 18, the one-year M.B.A. cohort had our first formal gathering with all of the mentors. The mentors are a diverse group of Canisius alumni who volunteer their time to help the one-year M.B.A. students establish meaningful connections within their desired field. I personally had the pleasure of meeting Deborah Leous, Chief Financial Officer of the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, Dan Attard, Director of Revenue Enhancement at Rich Products Corporation, David Chamberlain, Senior Vice President of Human Resources at M&T Bank, and Raymond Konieczek, Director of Human Resources Continuing Care Division for Catholic Health System.

I was initially nervous about meeting so many successful and well-established individuals from the Buffalo community, but the event was very rewarding. I received some great advice about how to present myself professionally within the business community and how to network appropriately. The mentoring program is largely up to the students in how often they arrange to meet with their assigned mentor over the course of the year. Many mentors expressed their willingness to meet as often as possible to form a genuine relationship and aid in our job searches by utilizing their wide-ranging networks.

Mentors are scheduled be assigned within the coming weeks. They were not assigned prior to the reception in order to encourage students to meet with individuals from various industries. I am very excited to find out who my specific mentor is and definitely intend to make the most of this amazing opportunity!

Topics: MBA-One Year | Comments Off