About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

First Year Wisdom

By gray20 | May 4, 2012

The choices we make about the lives we live determine the kinds of legacies we leave.

-Travis Smiley-

As the semester quickly sneaks up on us, I want to take this time to give some advise and thoughts on this year and what I have learned so far. I understand that we should be patient with those that give us unsolicited advise but here it goes.

Sports teams don’t want fans, they want you to fix their problems!  When applying for job, make sure you do it for the job and not the team.  I have talked with friends and alumni who took a job because of the team or organization and absolutely hate the job.  Please don’t make that mistake.

Please get involved with your classmates, your coworkers, or a charity. Far to often we have individuals that don’t come out or participate in MSA functions.  Weekly we have a big basketball game and often we grab sodas after classes or go to trivia.  Often time’s people forget that we are networking with each other.  The bonds that we forge can help us secure networking opportunities and open doors. It’s hard for me to say good things about you when you want a reference when we haven’t hung out or I don’t know you.

Leave your legacy!  I loved my undergrad at Baker University, absolutely loved it. What I didn’t understand at the time was that it soon would come to an end. I don’t want to make that same mistake this time in graduate school.  I’m going to leave a positive legacy and make this program better then when I arrived.  During the NIT, Stanford received a pregame pep talk from Ray Lewis and it soon became a YouTube sensation. This speech got me fired up and reminds me daily to work hard and leave a legacy. Here are the lines that get me fired up every time and are posted on my bedroom mirror:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07fhOVQ9wEA

“We get one opportunity in life. One chance in life … to do whatever you’re gonna do. To lay your foundation. To make whatever mark you’re gonna make. To leave whatever legacy you’re gonna leave. Leave your legacy. And its found through effort.”

In life we get out of it what we put into it! As you can tell with my quotes and motivational insights I’m someone who believes that we all can make a difference.  I have seen people waste their talents or not try and it kills. As Ray Lewis says “… every day is a new day. Every moment is a new moment.”

Until next time,

Take care and have a safe summer!

Topics: Sport Administration | Comments Off