About Our Blogs

Here you will find Canisius College graduate students sharing their thoughts and experiences. These posts explore the dedication and responsibilities of a being a graduate student, as well as the triumphs and successes.

Categories

« | Main | »

Reading Frenzy at Canisius

By Alexis | April 18, 2012

First, hello. It has been too long.

Second, I’d like to propose a toast.

Raise your glasses!

I just want to tell you about the lovely time I had at Canisius on a Sunday morning in March. It was part of The Writing Project of Western New York. We had a “reading frenzy” of student work to see which writing would make it into the 2012 anthology. This was a very hard decision because there were so many lovely pieces.

When I first got there, I was walking up the hall by the library and Tim Horton’s was just opening. I ran into my friend, Heather, who I know from last summer’s writing project (we are both fellows).

Then we walked up to the fourth floor of Old Main to find a bunch of teacher colleagues.

It’s a bit strange for me because I am not a teacher. I still have to complete seven weeks of student teaching, but I am a writer. I felt very honored to be included in that group of people.

Anyway, we got to work and had bagels and coffee and fruit. It was wonderful to get to read all of the student’s writing. We saw some great writing coming out of St. Andrew’s day school, which I’d like to know more about.

Okay, this is the toast:
“To writing and it’s healing and soothing properties and to meeting people who are kind.”

Topics: Childhood Education | Comments Off