Is anyone else getting this?!

“You remind me so much of So-and-So!” or “Oh, wow, Boss! He is just like So-and-So!”

Unlike many of you, I am still in my first week at this spring’s new internship at the NFTA in their Marketing and Communications Department. The work itself is going great as I have hit the ground running, and already have multiple projects to complete.

However, as we begin our internships, wherever they may be, we are all meeting many new people. On a more-often-than-not basis, when I am introduced to somebody at the NFTA, they will proceed to compliment me about how much I remind them of a previous intern, Doug (his name’s not really Doug).

Doug loves all the extra compliments.

Now, make no mistake about it, they definitely mean it as a compliment. This Doug… he’s quite a guy! (I know first-hand). But, more about that later.

You see, Doug was an intern for my supervisor a few semesters ago, and he made quite the impression there. Everyone on her team loved him, and he worked hard for her and others. Many people hype him to be a super-intern, and as for me, they see me as the second coming.

I don’t word it that way to sound cocky. They loved this kid! And, now, they seem ready for me to fill his shoes. I don’t know if it’s because of the way I introduce myself or for the simple fact we have similar builds/appearances. The only negative for me, of course, is that I would love the chance to make a name for myself.

This would be a hell of a lot easier if (and this is more of a big IF) Doug was out of the picture. Insert: the catch. Doug earned himself a job at the NFTA the year after he interned there, and is an employee there today…

Ironically enough, Doug and I are two of the youngest employees there so we’ve eaten lunch together each of my first two days. He is a cool dude, and I see myself most likely continuing to eat with him.

As for work, time to put my big-boy pants on, and outwork that shadow Doug left at my desk.