As my internship came to a close, so did my time at Canisus College. This summer’s internship at SKM has been a very helpful experience. The agency provided me with more solid structure than my previous internship (although my previous internship was a wonderful learning experience as well). SKM was just a little more prepared to show me a broader sense of an agency and what I liked/didn’t like about it. I sat with different departments and picked people’s brains about what they do on a day to day basis. I sat in on meetings and see what goes on from pitching ideas to finalizing them. But what I find most important about this internship was the outcome. When I started, my focus was in the media department, something I thought I wanted to get into from my previous internship. But it wasn’t until I was able to delve into the work of the department at SKM that I realized that maybe a career in media is not for me. But now I have at least a little bit of media experience, a small niche that may help me get in the door at an agency.

All in all, whether I decided what I want to be when I grow up or not, this internship was a success. The people there were very supportive of me and gave me plenty of useful advice, whether it was advertising related or just generally career related. I plan on keeping in touch with my supervisors and as many people I can. I must now go make my way in the real world!  I have already accepted 2 part time jobs for the time being. It’s overwhelming but exciting…. the life of a recent graduate or anyone going through a life transition. It’s time to put to good use all of the advice I have gotten from SKM Group!