Success can be measured in many different ways. The most common in our culture is through the accumulation of money. Other measures of success can be self-sufficiency or power. My advertising internship (unsurprisingly) did not, in and of itself, produce a heaping sum of money, the ability to provide for myself or any kind of authority. Nevertheless, I will always look back on it as a success.

The reason I will view my internship as a success is because I learned about myself and what my goals are in life. I learned, first, that I do love advertising. It’s a great deal of fun to me to take a product/service, figure out what benefits it provides to consumers, and think of creative ways to express this central truth. I think this would certainly be a fun career.

Nevertheless, I also learned that I would like to further my education. Through the course of my internship, I began thinking about what I had to offer companies that was different from what others brought to the table. While I could come up with a few traits and skills, I decided that I wanted even more.

Thus, my internship taught me that while a goal in my life is to obtain a job, I care about the bigger picture, too. I want more to offer a future employer. I want more to learn.

I will undoubtedly say in the future that my internship was a success. When I say this, I’m sure I will have to explain it did not produce a job or any kind of financial benefit. What it instead provided me is something much more valuable – insight into, and direction for, my future.